Important EHR Incentive Program Deadlines
This is the last year (2014) that Eligible Professionals (EPs) can start participating in the Medicare EHR Incentive Program to receive incentive payments. EPs who begin participation in the Medicare EHR Incentive Program after 2014, will not be able to earn an incentive payment for that year or any subsequent year of participation. If you choose to participate in the program for the first time in 2014, you should begin your 90-day reporting period no later than July 1, 2014 and submit attestation by October 1, 2014 to avoid the payment adjustment in 2015.
Providers who first begin participation in 2014 must:
• Demonstrate Stage 1 of meaningful use
• Meet 2014 EHR certification criteria
• Select any 90-day reporting period to demonstrate meaningful use, but must start no later than July 1, to avoid the adjustment
To Earn Your Maximum Medicare Incentive:
• Demonstrate 90 days of Stage 1 of meaningful use in 2014 to earn up to $11,760
• Demonstrate a full year of Stage 1 of meaningful use in 2015 to earn up to $7,840
• Demonstrate a full year of Stage 2 of meaningful use in 2016 to earn up to $3,920
Medicare eligible professionals who are not meaningful users will be subject to a penalty beginning on January 1, 2015. The penalty will be applied to the Medicare physician fee schedule (PFS) amount for covered professional services furnished by the eligible professional during the year. The penalty is 1 percent per year and is cumulative for every year that an eligible professional is not a meaningful user. Read the Payment Adjustment and Hardship Exemption Tipsheet for more information. Read more in AMA Wire™.